Thursday 14 May 2009

comfort food

It's exam season at the moment, and as such I am a miserable twat. Due to this I like a bit of comfort food, especially when it's quick and simple.  

My favourite is mushrooms on toast. I love good meaty flavoursome mushrooms, and think they should be treated simply. 

I grabbed some nice fresh ciabatta bread, banged on a touch of olive oil, and stuck that under the grill to toast off and go nice and crisp. 

Then I grabbed a non-stick pan, and melted some butter, chopped two large flat mushrooms into slices about 5mm wide, sauteeing them off in the butter, seasoned, and added a touch of garlic paste (about 1/5 of a teaspoon).  Let most of the liquid reduce down and evaporate off, and then added some double cream - enough to make a creamy sauce and coat all the mushrooms. Heated the sauce through and reduced it slightly, then straight on top of the ciabatta bread. 

Ooh. if you want you can bang in a touch of chopped flat leaf parsley just before you add the cream to add an extra dimension. I didn't though, as CBA walking to a big shop to get some parsley. 

Total time is about 5 minutes, and the result is a delicious starter or supper dish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment